Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Keyboard Theology

Catholics of eastern Ohio continue to groan under the stale "teachings" of Bishop Thomas Tobin of the Diocese of Youngstown, Ohio. The latest example was seen in the Feb 25 issue of 'The Catholic Exponent,' in an article titled, "The Need to Delete."

Tobin, adept at taking worldly things and drawing spiritual "lessons" from them, has in this latest instance found spiritual "food" from the "delete button" on his computer keyboard! Below is some of the sawdust that Tobin fed his flock in this article:

"As I look at my computer keyboard, it's clear that I make lots of mistakes. Without my delete button I'd be really lost and forced to live with my mistakes forever. It's a little reflection of life itself...After we've admitted our sins and mistakes we need to hit the delete button and move on!"

"Our Lord Jesus, in His wisdom and love, has given us a delete button for the spiritual life. It's called the Sacrament of Penance."

Comment – Wow! Is this 'profound' or what?

Hmmmm......Let ME pretend I'm a Catholic priest and give this "keyboard theology" a whirl:

1. As I look at the "+" (plus) key, it reminds me of the extra merits I can obtain from either Mary or Joseph.

2. As I reflect on the "#" (number) key, I realize that a large number of Masses, and how many, no priest can say, will be needed to get my soul out of purgatory.

3. As I ponder the "$" key, I think of the pope of Rome, and his love for money!

May God give many Catholics the grace to see that concerning the Catholic Church, they need to hit the "ESC" (escape) key, flee Rome forever, and receive Christ by faith ALONE for the full and free forgiveness of sins.